Sunday, July 12, 2015

Another Path


10/29/12

I want to show her, but I'm afraid to let her see.
the person who is inside, the person who is me.
it's not that I'm ashamed, or that I have something to hide
its just, what will she do with my heart, once she's seen inside?

I've been down this all too familiar path before,
I know how this can end. I don't want her to destroy my heart
and I don't want to be her friend.

I have counted my chips, and raised the bet, and now its up to you.
will you call my raise, show your cards, and continue this hand on through?
are you going to fold this hand, and end the game, well before the hour?
The action falls squarely on you now girl, you've got the power.

I've been down this long and dusty path before,
and I know how this can end. I'll be giving her the power
to break my heart, but I want to be more than a friend.

when I don't know how she feels about me,
it's hard to share how I'm feelin'
she might answer with, I love you too,
she might leave my heart a-bleedin'
This guessing game is killing me, and I wonder
if she knows it. If she does indeed have feelings for me,
is it as hard for her to show it?  

I've been down this love torn path before,
but this time how will it end? Will she take the fork
towards my heart, or the one towards being my friend?

I have finally found my courage, this is it,
this is will be the night.
I will finally confess my love for her,
and hope everything will be alright.
Either way my mind will be free, and maybe I'll be able to sleep.
These last few nights my brain feels like a tea bag left too long to steep.

I'm sprinting down the path now,
eager to see if she is at the end.
I hope she will share her heart with me,
I don't need another friend.

The table is set, in more ways than one,
and the conversation is going as planned.
as soon as she finishes her thought,
I will reach out and take her hand.
I will look deep into her eyes,
and ask to be her man.
no matter how she answers, I'll be ready to understand.
I'll be hoping for a yes, because I know how hard no's land.

The path is crumbling behind me,
I must continue to the end.
I'm opening the valve to my heart,
don't close it, to be my friend

This is it, I tell myself and reach out to touch her hand,
but before I make the connection, things don't go as planned.
She starts talking about a man,
and I can see it in her eyes.
this is the man that she cares for,
and something inside of me dies.

I've journeyed down another path now.
I've made it, this is the end.
I'll just sweep up my heart now,
and of course, I will be your friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment